Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Meet the members of Mark's lab!

We went out last Friday night with the members of Mark's lab to celebrate the completion of the new building. This is about half of the group. They are really great, fun, intelligent people, whose group we are very happy to be a part of. The restaurant was in a very old building with stone walls and an arched ceiling. We ordered a veggie sandwich, which looked exactly the same as the hamburgers except with no meat. At first we wondered if it was going to be any good, but it turned out to be great (the really really good bun and cheese made the difference I guess).

Tomorrow is moving day! We'll carry what we can (including the cats) to the apartment tomorrow to meet the rental agent and get the key. After that we will call a taxi for the rest of our stuff. We have our appliances and some furniture being delivered later on in the day. I can't believe moving will be over for awhile. I've just gotten so used to it as a way of life...

I went to IKEA yesterday to buy some necessities and had a very interesting experience. So we don't have a car, right? Well, I rode a tram for about 40 minutes to get there, and when I got off at the stop I was directed to, I was surrounded by a few buildings, and a lot of empty fieds. I had no idea I would be taking a trip into the country, and I couldn't see IKEA anywhere! So I just began walking back in the direction the tram had come. After about 10 minutes, I saw IKEA and walked another 10 minutes to get there (I guess I got off at the wrong tram stop). It was an interesting scene. I found lots of good stuff at IKEA, and after buying it (which I am also very nervous about since I don't speak the language), I had to walk all the way back to the tram with two huge bags of stuff on my shoulders. After another 40 minute ride, and changing to the subway, I got to the stop and had to walk another 1/4 of a mile to get to the hotel. It was quite a site and quite an experience! It changes shopping for me, knowing that I will have to carry everything I buy! It's a very good way to control the budget!

1 comment:

Terry said...

What a great photo! I hope to meet some of your new friends and colleagues.

I loved reading about your shopping experience. I have been shopping this way for years (carrying groceries and other purchases in my backpack, sometimes walking, sometimes on my bike). I love not owning a car. But the length of your shopping commute: mon Dieu!

Love,
Dad