Thursday, January 31, 2008

For all my cytology colleagues...


I found the following short article in an issue of Bien-dire (a French magazine for english-speaking people who are trying to learn French). Yes, the vaccine has made it to Europe, and it will be interesing to see the results. Here is a translation (checked over by Mark):

"Soon Saved From Cancer?

Every year in France, nearly 3400 uterine cancers are diagnosed and more than 1000 women die. Good news: the first vaccine that protects against this type of cancer, Gardasil, is now available in France. It protects against the sexually transmitted [HPV] virus, which provokes the sickness. The vaccine has maximum efficiency when it is given before the first contact with the virus. It is ideal to vaccinate before the first intercourse. Doctors recommend giving the vaccination to young girls between 11 and 12 years of age, with a catch-up vaccination for those between 13 and 26 years."

In case any of you are wondering, yes, I miss my microscope! I am still testing the waters of screening here in France (though I have not yet had much time to track anything down). My difficulty with the language is a higher priority so far.

I miss you guys and think of you often!!

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Hey! This looks familiar ;)

Mark, Kendra, and Evan said...

How funny! Well, on behalf of all cytolgists, I thank you for editing and publishing this article!