Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hang Gliding!! Mom and Dad's Europe Extravaganza, Part 7...

The next day dawned bright and clear, and we decided to give hang gliding another run. We were successful! It was sooooooooooooooooo fun! It's the closest way to being bird-like I'll ever be, and oh, the freedom of soaring.....!
The landing field is green and clear.


Helmet Heads

Mark, my Dad, and me, prepared for departure...

A good-bye kiss...

Mark prepares for take-off.

As we were riding up in the van to the take-off location, Bernie (the lead pilot) told us the order of take-off would be the order of our birthdays. So I said, "ok, that's easy...Mark (June 13), then me (June 14), and then Dad (June 15)!"

Just as Mark was ready to take off, a cloud rolled in, and so the waiting game began before we could safely take off. And so, while we're waiting, you can see the promotional video from the hang gliding company we used. It shows what the take off is like as well as the beautiful setting of Interlaken:




Still waiting for take-off.


I give a safe-flight shaka to Mark

Get ready to run....


And he's off!


Yahoo!


Soaring with the birds..



Whee!!

Coming in for the landing...


And now Mark is the star of this super-exciting hang-gliding movie experience:





Awesome!

Dido (my pilot) and I were taking our time setting up the glider, so we broke the order of take-off. Dad was up and ready to fly! Here he goes!...

Walking to the take-off point.


Waiting for the perfect moment.


Can you find him?


It's a bird...no, it's a plane...no....it's Super Dad!


Soon to be back on solid ground...

Sorry, Dad, I don't have many photos of you because you took your photo CD home with you! What did you do that for?? :)

So, it was my turn next. So far I had been doing very well, keeping the butterflies under control.

I got the best helmet, hands down!

Then we started waiting...and waiting...and waiting some more. I think Dad had been on the ground for at least a half an hour before we took off. Dido was calling Bernie on his cell phone, talking excitedly in German. The clouds were rolling by...

Dido and me before take-off.


Still waiting, while farmers gather hay... (Bernie took this photo while burning time). Mark said it was 30 or 40 minutes of waiting before they saw me break through the clouds! A very long time for this girl's nerves. I kept thinking of Audrey's bravery when she went skydiving, and how she landed safe and sound. That calmed me down enough to go through with the whole thing. A couple of paragliders took off while we were still waiting, waiting...


With only a few seconds warning, we take off, and plunge into a cloud!


We're not in the cloud for long, and bright blue skies await us as we break through.


Dido knew what he was doing. We waited so long to catch the perfect wind, and once we were in the air, we climbed and climbed. Talking with Mark and Dad later, I found out that I was the only one who got so high up in the air. The waiting was worth it! I could see the snow-capped peaks of the Alps and the blue lake waters of Interlaken. So Beautiful! At one point, a bird (the size of a seagull) flew just below us, I could almost have reached out and touched it.


And with the height we acheived, Dido took me on an air-borne roller coaster, doing dives, dips, and tricks galore! Wahoo! Fabulous!





Reluctantly landing...

And now it's time for my starring role:




I stand up, wobbly legged from the adrenaline, and scrape my chin off the ground.


It was an honor to share this with Mark. Skydiving was a big part of his life before he met me, and he has a huge adventure streak that has him itching to take certain calculated risks (like going river rafting and plunging into a class 4 rapid, but that's another story). After 7 years of marriage, I worked up the courage explore the sky with him, and now we can share the experience, on common ground. And I would have no qualms about going again, and again, and again...

Thanks for helping me do this, Mark! I loved it, and I love you.


11 comments:

Doug and Mallena said...

AMAZING! I am not a fan of heights, but that actually looked fun. I think this is something Doug would love to do---but I don't think I could share the experience with him like you did with Mark.

Where was your mom during all of this? Did she watch from up top, or from below? I never knew your dad was such the adventurous type.

Mark, Kendra, and Evan said...

Thanks, Mallena! Doug should definitely do it, maybe in the Tetons??!! My mom stayed at the bottom with a couple sets of cameras. She was amazing to let us three go knowing we would be attached to not much more than a kite, soaring through the air. I was so impressed with her!

Sara said...

I love it! This looks so exciting and fun! (I still wouldn't do it, though - yikes.) You did get the best helmet too! :-) Incredible!

Anonymous said...

Mark and Kendra,
Congratulations for joining the club! Hey, do I get any credit at all for encouraging this adventure?? :o) Now perhaps when you are next in Southern CA, you can join me in the air?? :o)

Kudos!
Jeff

Mark, Kendra, and Evan said...

Yes, Jeff! YOU put the idea in our heads in the first place (well, it was in Mark's head more than mine at first)! Thanks for the inspiriation and the good advice. :) And of course, you can bet we'll be in the air with you in CA!

Anonymous said...

Great! I look forward to it! By the way, I love the last picture of you with your helmets touching. I wonder if Mark is saying, "I love you Kendra, but who's the joker who put crazy glue on our helmets!!??" :o)

Senegal Daily said...

Seriously - that helmet heads photo is priceless. I love it.

MasonLeskowitz said...

How much sky diving did Mark do before he met you, Kendra?

Doug and Mallena said...

I tagged you! Check out my blog to find out the rules.

Doug and Mallena said...

Congratulations! You guys are going to make awesome parents. I bet your child is going to be a genius! Any ideas on gender? I can't wait to see the new Butler.

Ngân Đàm said...

You guys are brave! I don't know, Mark's helmet is pretty hot-looking, too ;)

Ngan