Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Fête des Lumières

We enjoyed a completely new experience this weekend. That is, we battled the crowds to see the Fête des Lumières, Lyon's annual light festival. The entire city is lit up artistically and creatively. We saw light used like paint, impressive and grand buildings turned into toy chests, gray stone facades turned bright red or blue or purple, a kaleidoscope of colors, and the subjects of ancient sculpture turned into dolls for a giant little boy. It was wonderful!

However, the few photos I took did not at all turn out well. You can kind of get the idea below...




So, I am going to link to Kari's blog yet again, because her photos turned out great. Plus, she did a great job describing the history of the festival, which brought it to life to me more, even after the fact.

We are going to be moving next Tuesday, so we're busy packing, setting up utilities, and attacking a very long list of things to do. Wish us luck! I am not sure what kind of internet connection we will have, but hopefully we'll be back online soon.

A bientot!

4 comments:

Doug and Mallena said...

Good luck with your move. Isn't this the third time you've moved since moving to France? :)

I think the lights are so beautiful. It does remind me of one of your trips (sorry, I can't think of the location) where Mark went out and had paint thrown at him. Actually, I don't think they threw it at him, maybe they just painted him. Sorry if I just slaughtered that story, but that's what all the colors reminded me of.

Mark, Kendra, and Evan said...

Ha! Mallena, I loved your analogy to Mark's story with Holi (the Festival of Colors that happens every March) in India. Your memory is correct--Mark did have "colors" (some kind of paint, both liquid and powder) thrown at him. He very much resembled the last photo I posted of the Hotel de Ville in Lyon, covered in splotchy colors!

Ngân Đàm said...

Thanks for posting the photos Kendra! I didn't take any because we thought that none would turn out anyway without a tripod. See you and Mark at Guido's tonight?! :)

Doug and Mallena said...

I'd love to see some more pregnancy pictures if you'd like to post them. :) I'm sure you're looking more beautiful every day---if that's possible.