Saturday, April 25, 2009

No exceptions, not even for extremely cute babies...

Today I took Evan to have official photos taken for his passport application. The usual rule with any official photo is that it must fit specific measurements and also be a bad representation of the person (am I right, or am I right?). Who doesn't have a collection of awful offical photos, whether for passports, drivers licenses, etc.? Well, apparently the rule holds for babies as well, and Evan got his first today!

Our handsome little guy, minutes before leaving for the photographer...

It took me 20 minutes to wake Evan up once we arrived at the photographer's, and it was a huge piece of luck that a photo was taken where his eyes were open. Neither Mark nor I think this photo looks like Evan at all! He never makes this expression, and yet this is how the U.S. government will know him. No exceptions to the rule!

On another note... we enjoyed dinner with our friend Xavier tonight. He and Mark have spoken a lot of French and English over the last few months, but now he's moving to Paris and then to Houston to continue his studies in medicine. We'll miss you, Xavier!

Xavier and le bébé orange

This is Mark and Evan, just moments ago. Evan often eats too much for his little stomach to handle, and he gets stomach aches at night. Mark always takes him until he falls asleep (Evan has an awesome dad). This position, on the exercise ball, is the newest we have found to help give Evan some relief, and it is the result of many nights of improvising. Evan likes the combination of pressure on his belly, sitting upright, bouncing, and sucking on Mark's pinkie finger, while hearing French TV in the background. Compliqué!

7 comments:

Terry said...

In the photo of Mark holding Evan, and in your description, I can feel what an intelligent, loving father Evan has; and I love seeing Evan being held by his French friend Xavier. I wish I had met Xavier!

Sara said...

LOL! Poor kid.
I like the puppy in the crib. :)

Ngân Đàm said...

i love this post, Kendra!!
some people take nice passport photos but don't look half that good in real life...I say Evan is lucky to have it the other way around ;)
can't wait to read more (thanks for posting! even w/ your hectic schedule!!)

Senegal Daily said...

I love Evan and think he is absolutely adorable...but that passport picture made me laugh out loud in the apartment all by myself.

Can anyone say 'new desktop photo'?

PS - I am very impressed by your blogging consistency. Wow - and thanks!

Doug and Mallena said...

Poor little Evan! I feel so bad that he gets tummy aches. I'm glad you explained about Mark's finger. I wasn't sure what he was doing to Evan's head at first. ;)

I have to agree with the passport picture. Thankfully he's young enough that he'll need to have an updated picture soon. For those of us with horrible driver's license pictures----there's no hope for at least a couple of years.

Linds said...

Cieran had a terrible passport pic, too - he was completely bug-eyed! And, the poor kid is stuck with it until he's 5! LOL!

BTW, I remember the yoga ball days of Cieran's infancy well. We bounced so much our first ball popped, and we ended up buying a second one!

The Massons said...

our little girl had her passport picture taken at 9 weeks and she looks so ugly in it! i can't believe i say that, but it's true! it's the worst picture i own of her.