Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A nifty, new kitchen gadget...

This posting I am devoting entirely to my new favorite kitchen accessory. I don't even have a name for it, though "Aillade" is written on it. My French friend gave it to me this week, and it has brought my joy in cooking to new levels!

It's a small bowl, with zig-zagged teeth inside. It's intended use is for crushing garlic ("ail", en Francais). When a clove of garlic is rubbed along the inside of the bowl, the result is a perfect, pasty, white, garlicky dream. I find it much easier to use than a garlic press, easier to clean, and incredibly fun to use! I have never seen anything like it, though my French friend said she got it in Provence.

Here is a bonus recipe where I use my nifty new...hmmmm....I think I'll call it my "ail schmail!"

Introducing, the Ail Schmail!

Tangy Black Lentils

2 Tbsp olive oil
1.5 cups black lentils
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 medium onion, diced
3 3/4 cups of water
1 tsp dried oregano
3 cloves of garlic, crushed with an ail schmail
1 red pepper, diced
1 tsp curry powder
salt to taste
fresh lemon juice from one lemon

Heat olive oil in pan for 2-3 minutes. Add cumin seed and let sizzle in oil for 1-2 minutes. Add diced onion, and saute for 3-5 minutes more. Add black lentils, and saute another 3-5 minutes.

Add water and oregano. Bring to boil and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, crush garlic in ail schmail.

Add garlic, red pepper, and curry powder. Add salt to taste.

When lentils have absorbed most of the liquid, sqeeze in lemon juice, stir well, and remove from heat.

Serve over rice and with a good movie.




4 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Yum!

Where do you buy cumin seeds?

I'm totally in for Badhourian Friday, by the way. Must restock!

Mark, Kendra, and Evan said...

Badhourian is a perfect place to buy cumin seeds! Can't wait for Friday!

Sara said...

He, he. Since you know me pretty well, I hope I can get away with saying this... eww. :) sorry

Mark, Kendra, and Evan said...

Ha! Sara, you are hilarious! Too bad--I was going to send you a box full of black lentils and an ail schmail for your birthday! Guess that idea's out the window... :)