Thursday, June 12, 2008

In newstands now...

I'll take a break now from the Europe Extravaganza (the Italian Alps tomorrow!!!) to share with you something very fun...

A local tabac (a type of convience store in France that is licensed to sell tobacco, but can also sell other products, this one particularly sells a lot of magazines--tabac and presse combined).

My friend Kari is an editor for three magazines, all of which focus on teaching either English or French (Mark has subscribed to the French magazine for years, so it's a great coincidence to meet the editor!). Kari enlisted me, my friend Michelle and her husband Dan to participate in the current issue. One section of the magazine includes short blurbs and photos from Anglophones about a particular topic--vacation time offered by employers in the USA and Britain in this instance. So, we all wrote a short description, sent in a picture, and voilĂ , we're in a magazine! (note: Mark did not participate because the vacation time at Caltech was never counted, and neither were the working hours really...long story.)

So, I went to our local newstand, and after standing around for a good 10 minutes trying to find the magazine, I asked for help finding it. As soon as I opened my mouth, it was very apparent how awful my French was, and the man who helped me looked a little confused as to why I would want the English magazine when what I needed was the French one! He didn't ask, and I was relieved. I was a strange customer, though--upon seeing the magazine, I gazed with a huge smile, snapped a few photos of it, and then walked away. (Kari is giving me a copy straight from the office--will you autograph it too, Kari??)

English Now--my first magazine appearance

There we are!!

Also, to Michelle and Dan--it's an honor to appear in print with you guys! I wish you could have been here with me to discover it in the newstand. :) Miss you!



3 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

I love it! I've never taken a photo in the Tabacs with the mags, but maybe we can have do a mini-photo shoot one day.

Doug and Mallena said...

Your photograph in the magazine is beautiful! Congratulations on being published. :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MARK tomorrow. Hope he has a really great day.

Doug and Mallena said...

Ok, so I typed Happy Birthday to Mark when it was still 6/12 here, but it looks like I was late on your blog. Sorry, I really did think of him BEFORE his birthday, at least in our time zone. Just so I'm not late, Happy Birthday Kendra. I'm not sure what time it is in France, but I'm hoping I'm still a little early for you. :) I hope you two have a wonderful weekend with great birthday celebrations.