Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Mom and Dad's Europe Extravaganza, Part 3...

After our adventures in Paris, Dijon, and Lyon, we left on a rainy day to see the Alps. Dad rented a very nice car, and Mark and I were the designated drivers. Let me remind you that we sold our car the day before we moved to France, so it has been five months since we have been in such a machine, let alone operating it....and in a foreign country! Thankfully we remembered pretty quick (I think the hardest part was getting out of the tiny parking lot), though there are some street signs that we never quite figured out.

We first went to the remains of a Roman aquaduct (thanks for the advice, J&K!), then on to Annecy for a quick stop and ending in Chamonix, all in one day.


Annecy


Annecy (yes, Mark and I will be going back soon)

Annecy


Annecy


Annecy


Annecy


Our first view of the Alps, following the canyon to Chamonix.

Hotel in Chamonix, with Mont Blanc in the clouds in the background.


A massive glacier slowly sliding down the mountain. Spectacular!

5 comments:

MasonLeskowitz said...

I am so enjoying this blog and reading all about your travels. I love the photos and really hope you stay in France for a good long time, so I can come to visit! Even if you leave before I can get there, this blog has given me ideas about where I would love to visit and a chance to see more of the country than I was able to when I lived there. I was so poor - I think I lived off of $15 a week! This is a great tool and you are really doing a great job of it - maybe I'll start a blog too . . . ?

Senegal Daily said...

These are great. We love Annecy - it's equally beautiful in summer and winter.

I want to see more of these glacier photos sometime!

Mark, Kendra, and Evan said...

Mary, you must start a blog! Please! I would be a faithful reader, and photos of you and your boys would be treasured. You also must come and visit! All the places I've shown on the blog so far are day trips from Lyon. There is so much to do around here. You would love it, and we would be thrilled to see all of you. :)

Kari--I had never seen a glacier up so close before. We went to the Italian side of Mont Blanc the next day and saw the other side of the glacier (photos tomorrow).

Doug and Mallena said...

What an amazing opportunity to live in such a beautiful place. It really makes me wish Doug was done with school and we could afford to do some traveling. Alas, it will be YEARS, but maybe someday. :) You're pictures are all amazing. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kendra!
You are turning into quite a photographer!
It's amazing to see all these storybook-like sceneries and buildings in your Photos!
I come visit your blog whenever someone asks about you. I gave Naoko the link to your blog.
Continue to have a blast for all of us in CA!
And you look great too!

Jean