Sunday, November 16, 2008

Our escape to Porquerolles...


Though I was MIA from blogging at the time, Mark and I did manage to have a few adventures in the time we were away from cyberspace. This particular adventure took place at the end of September on a tiny island off the south coast of France.

My good friend and French teacher, Maryline, told me of her love of the island soon after we met. She and her family had been coming here for years, and they soon offered to share it with us (such incredible generosity)!! Thank you, Maryline and Jean Luc! We had a magical experience there, exploring different parts of the island and getting to know it's breathtaking beaches very well. Perhaps not surprisingly, my morning sickness magically went away while we were in this beautiful place, and it has not come back!



The flowers by our window...

Maryline and me

Dinner with Maryline and Jean Luc

Some history... The island has a long story, the evidence of which can still be seen in the form of old army forts scattered along its surface. Some time back, a wealthy business man who had made his fortune in Mexico bought the island and gave it as a gift to his wife. A little church in the town square could pass for a village church in Mexico, easily. What a fabulous gift, eh? Wow!

Me while exploring one of the island's many old forts.


The beaches here were so pristine and the water crystal clear.


Mark looks for signs of life in the tidepool.



A path to the next beach...


I got my feet wet (I actually went swimming in the velvety water the next day, though no photos of that)


The next day we found our own little beach to play at. Only us and a couple of boats...


I love this photo of Mark!


Lots of coral to watch out for when swimming!


Mark brings his French dictionary everywhere, even to the beach!


Another fort...


The sand from a black-sand beach...


Turns out, Mark is a master at skipping rocks! I had no idea of this trait in my husband, and I was so happy to discover it that I was downright giddy! The most skipps I counted for a given stone was 9!! Way to go, Mark!



Coming up next: Venice...the most spectacular place in the world to hang your laundry!

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Beautiful. I'm so glad y'all got to go and enjoy it.

Doug and Mallena said...

I'm glad that you were able to feel well enough to enjoy your trip. You look so beautiful in all your pictures. I think I'll tell Doug that's what I want for my birthday---my own island. :)