Thursday, November 20, 2008

Venice, the most spectacular place in the world to hang your laundry...

We spent a magical 5 days in Venice in the middle of October. I will soon blog in more detail about that amazing city. For now, as a way to whet your appetite for our amazing Venice photos, I suggest a little game, called Locate the Laundry!

In no other place on the globe have we seen wet clothes so artfully displayed as in Venice. Sometimes the colors blend in with buildings, other times the contrast in colors is what creates a striking scene. Every time, the laundry gives the old, old buildings a sense of freshness and life. Hanging laundry is everywhere you look, the unspoken proof that Venice is still a living city (though it feels a bit like a ghost town too, but more on that in the next post).

So, look closely! A few of the photos have multiple clotheslines, some hidden surprisingly well. On your mark... get set... go!!! Locate the Venetian laundry!








I counted 5 different clotheslines in this photo! How about you?


My personal favorite, especially for all my friends who love (or hate) high places!

3 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Very creative (and colorful) post! It looks amazing. I'm so happy you guys got to go.

Doug and Mallena said...

Do they put their laundry out on windy days? I wonder if any have lost clothing in the water below. I think the hanging laundry just adds to the beauty of the city. It doesn't hurt that you are an amazing photographer and can make anything look good. :)

Mark, Kendra, and Evan said...

That's a very good question, Mallena! It wasn't windy when we were there, though I do remember thinking that it seemed pretty risky to have one's nice clean clothes hanging over the dingy, opaque water of the canals! Eish!