Sunday, November 2, 2008

Strange happenings...

Halloween night...the two of us haunted by the episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer we were watching (season 6, episode 1)...a knock on the door...

In the USA it would have been some trick-or-treaters, but not in France (no such sort of celebrating for Halloween here). We opened the door to a costumed person, though. A girl was standing there, dressed in hundreds of silver sequins with shiny silver hair. She explained that she was getting married in a few weeks, and she needed to go out on our balcony. Turns out this is part of a tradition here in France, much like a bachelorette party, called enterrement de vie de jeune fille (word for word translation: burial of life of young girl). The French term for bachelor party is similiarly enterrement de vie de garçon. Our "young girl" ran to our balcony, threw open the windows, and howled down to all of her girlfriends, who started clapping and laughing as she successfully completed the dare.

I must admit, this is my first real pregnant-looking photo!

Another strange occurance happened on a walk today. I was out exercising on the beautiful streets of Lyon, when a car pulled up with very loud music blasting out of its open windows. Usually this type of sharing only annoys me, as the chosen music is rarely to my tastes (I'm not so big a fan of gangster rap). However, as I listened to the music, I had no choice but to smile. A spunky, jazzed-up version of ...The Hokey Pokey was playing loud and clear, for the entire block to hear!

You put your right foot in, you put your right foot out, you put your right foot in, and you shake it all about.....you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around....Great exercise music!




3 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

You know, I've been meaning to post about the enterrement de jeune fille for a while now...but your story way tops any post I could've written!

The Hofers said...

Oh Kendra, I love this picture! You have a bachelorette in all her sparkling glory and a beautiful GLOWING pregnant mommy (yes we can see a lil bump!). I must say you "outshine" the sparkly dress! XOXO-Michelle

Doug and Mallena said...

I have to agree with Michelle, you definitely "outshine" the sparkling girl. :) What a fun thing to have happen. I'm sure she enjoyed coming across two fun people.