Saturday, March 28, 2009

The gift of time...

So, here we are... We thought our lil' g would be here by now, but it appears that he is very comfy inside Hotel Uterus and in no hurry to come out.

So many times in life I struggle with having too little time, and yet here I am now, waiting for those life-changing moments I know are soon coming, 5 days past my due date and counting! I honestly never thought he would take this long to make an appearance, and I find myself feeling a bit unprepared for how to spend my time. It's not that I have a lot of time, mind you. I still have to go to the hospital every 48 hours for monitoring, which takes practically all day for this car-free expat (hehe!..there's a good pun here..."car-free" = carefree...well, sometimes). Also, my body's shape and agility are more like that of a turtle's than a human's, so it's difficult to get much done. My mind has a lot of time just to be with itself, though. It hasn't slowed down at all, which makes the waiting all the more challenging. This is quite an exercise in living in the moment!

I like to think that babies make the choice of when it's best for them to travel from womb to world. So I keep asking myself, "what can I possibly do to make my world a better place for lil' g? What is he waiting for me to do?" It's definitely true that daily something has happened, either for me or Mark, that makes us feel better prepared. Today, I think there's a better environment for lil' g than we could have provided last week, so he probably knows what he is doing.

What would you do, or what have you done, during a time like this (please comment!)? This is whole post is inspired by my cousin Jeralee, who sent me a list of things she has done or would like to do while waiting to go into labor (thanks, Jeralee)! For me, I'm going to do some baking, take a walk, play the piano, and a few other things, but first, I'm going to blog. Can you believe it? For the next few hours, I am going to attempt to record the happenings of the last several months that haven't made it onto the blog, but should have. You can think of it as a year-end review (you know, like all the ones you see on TV on New Year's Eve), only done in March and lasting 10 months rather than 12.

Read on...!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I was about 4 days past my due date when I decided to use castor oil to induce labor, it worked like a charm. At the time I was glad cuz my mom already had set dates for the plane tickets and I wnated to be sure the baby was here when she arrived so she would get to spend the week with her granddaughter, not at our house cleaning and cooking and waiting for the baby to come.
Now though, I wish I had waited for labor to start naturally. To savor those last days where you have such a special and literal bond with the baby. To not feel guilty that I get to experience it and Nick barly gets to feel her move(everytime she was moving and he put his hand on my stomach, she would stop)
Everyone will tell you this, but it is so true. Time flies, savor every moment. Before you know it they will be walking and talking.

My guess will be April 1, April fools day:O) Now does it only count in your time zone? there are several hours difference here. If he was born on April 1 here and it was already april 2 there, would I still win? ;O)

Sara said...

I am whiny and, as Justin puts it, not a trooper. So I can't remember exactly with my first, but I am sure I just whined to be done being pregnant. You're doing good finding the positives in each day.
With Aiden, I was seriously depressed and just cried all the time so I'm definitely no help there.

Glenn and Cile said...

Congratulations! I just got the email from Kari about Evan Marc's arrival! So happy for you and Mark. (BTW-I like the fact he is named after his Dad, but with the French spelling of Marc.)

We'll be anxiously awaiting the photos on the blog!