Saturday, March 28, 2009

Yummy food I made (before the morning sickness hit)...


So, it's hard being a vegetarian in France! I miss all the veggie options I took for granted in the States. I got all courageous one day and tried to make veggie chicken strips. I mixed 1 kg of flour and enough water to make a soft dough, and then I rinsed the dough to remove the starch, leaving only the gluten. I then boiled it in veggie broth and salt for 30 minutes. I cut it into strips and fried it up with veggies and sweet and sour sauce. It was pretty good, but not as good as Trader Joes. Oh well!

Ginger Cookies

These ginger cookies were excellent (should make them again)! Here's the recipe...

1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmet
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated (you could use powdered ginger too)
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 - 1/2 cup molasses
1 egg

Mix the wet and dry ingredients separately, then combine to make a stiff dough. Knead the dough for a few minutes, then roll out and cut into shapes. Dip in sugar, then bake at 350 for 7-8 minutes.

No comments: